Pavement Cut Moratorium
On March 6, 2018 the City Council adopted Ordinance O-2018-003 adding Chapter 12.36: Pavement Cut Moratorium to the Municipal Code in order to protect the City's investment in its infrastructure, and to preserve the life of our streets.
Section 12.36.030 states "permission to excavate in roadways shall not be granted for five (5) years after the completion date of roadway construction or maintenance, including but not limited to an overlay, chip seal, slurry seal coatings, micro paving, or other maintenance of the roadway surface. Utilities shall plan well enough in advance to determine alternate methods for making necessary repairs to avoid excavating in newly resurfaced roadways." A chart of streets that is covered by the moratorium is shown below.
|Hinds Avenue||End to Cypress||Grind and Overlay||10/31/22|
|Cypress Street||Pomeroy to Hinds||Grind and Overlay||10/31/22|
|Pomeroy Avenue||End to Cypress||Grind and Overlay||10/31/22|
|James Way||2 James Way to Shamrock||Grind and Overlay||5/8/22|
|Bello Avenue||Intersection at Wadsworth||Grind and Overlay||2/7/22|
|Bello Avenue||Price Canyon Rd to End||Grind and Overlay||2/7/22|
|Terrace Avenue||Entire Street||Grind and Overlay||2/7/22|
|Shoreline Drive||Entire Street||Grind and Overlay||2/7/22|
|Longview Avenue||*Wadsworth to End||Grind and Overlay||2/7/22|
|Merced Street||Entire Street||Grind and Overlay||2/7/22|
|Baker Avenue||Entire Street||Grind and Overlay||2/7/22|
|Coburn Lane||Entire Street||Grind and Overlay||2/7/22|
|Naomi Avenue||*Entire Street||Grind and Overlay||2/7/22|
|Paddock Avenue||Entire Street||Grind and Overlay||2/7/22|
|Ruby Court||*Entire Street||Grind and Overlay||2/7/22|
|Seacliff Drive||Entire Street||Grind and Overlay||2/7/22|
|PD Parking Lot||Entire Surface||Slurry Seal||2/7/22|
|*Requires rubberized asphalt|
|Bello Avenue||Wadsworth to US 101||Grind and Overlay||Under construction|
|Park Avenue||End to Cypress||Grind and Overlay||Under construction|
|Addie Street||End to Cypress||Grind and Overlay||Under construction|
|Shell Beach Road||Terrace to Cliff||Grind and Overlay||Summer 2018|
Exceptions to this moratorium may be permitted at the discretion of the Public Works Director/City Engineer in the following situations:
1. Emergencies which endanger life, property or public health and safety.
2. Interruption of essential utility service.
3. Work that is mandated by city, state, or federal legislation.
4. Unforeseen circumstances where the financial burden outweighs the benefit to the roadway infrastructure.
5. Other situations deemed by the Public Works Director/City Engineer to be in the best interest of the general public.
A. To excavate within a roadway within five (5) years of the completion date, a waiver must be obtained. To request a waiver, the applicant must submit a written request to the Director of Public Works/City Engineer. The request must include:
1. The location of the excavation.
2. Description of the work to be performed.
3. A statement from the applicant setting forth good cause for why the work was not performed before the roadway was resurfaced.
4. A statement from the applicant setting forth good cause for why the work cannot be deferred until after the five (5) year period.
5. A statement from the applicant setting forth good cause for why the work cannot be performed at another location.
For more information, contact the Engineering Division at (805) 773-4656.