Short Term Rental / Homestay Permits
How Do I Get a Short-Term Rental (STR) Permit?
Short-Term Rentals / Homestays may only be permitted in the following zones: R-1, RSL, PD, PR, OS, and RSM.
To report a Short-Term Rental concern or violation, call our hotline at (805) 792-8007. Please make sure you include the full address of the location you are calling about.
Follow the steps below. Please note the Required Documents section below. Links to STR regulations are provided at the bottom of this page.
Step 1: Apply for a Short-Term Rental or Homestay Permit
- Confirm that your property is located within one of the zones that allow for Short-Term Rentals/Homestays
- Complete a Short-Term Rental / Homestay Application (approving Good Neighbor Policy) and submit $390 application fee.
- Note: Only Property Owner can apply for STR permit.
- Community Development to review application and complete inspections. Allow for 2 to 3 weeks to set up an inspection to verify parking, bedrooms, and safety requirements.
- Approval / Denial of Permit. If approved: Community Development to issue STR Certificate
- Community Development to notify applicant to apply for business license online
- Once approved, pay business license fee online
- Each property owner must have a valid business license.
- Each property manager must have a valid business license (for the City)
Step 3: Finance to issue Applicant TOT Certificate of Authority
- Finance to issue Applicant TOT Certificate of Authority and provide information of submitting TOT/LBID/TMD
- For TOT/LBID/TMD collection, property owner or manager to submit TOT/LBID/TMD form per each business license each month
- If Property Manager to e-file on behalf of property owner, then Property Manager shall provide list of properites on an annual basis (July), with monthly updates as needed.
- For information on reporting TOT/LBID/TMD, please visit our Lodging Business webpage
Applicants will need to supply the following materials as part of their application. Please note that while these items do not need to be drawn by a professional, they must include the dimensions:
- Application and Good Neighbor Policy
- Application Fee: $390
- Site Plan: This attachment must show the location of all existing buildings on the property, and the location and dimensions of any on-site parking.
- Floor Plan: This attachment must show all rooms within the home, labeled by room type.
- Mailing Information: This information is required in an Excel file that contains the Assessor Parcel Number, the property address, the owner name, and the owner mailing address for all properties located within a 300ft radius of the STR.