Functions & Duties
Code Compliance is an administrative function based within the Community Development Department. Code Compliance staff work in collaboration with members of all City departments to address complaints made regarding City regulations.
Duties of Code Compliance include:
- Respond to citizen questions and concerns.
- Build community awareness and cooperation in the pursuit of compliance with adopted codes.
- Promote and maintain a safe and desirable living and working environment for Pismo Beach visitors, residents, and business owners.
- Administer a fair & balanced, reactive, complaint driven program striving for long-term voluntary compliance.
- Conduct inspections and site visits in response to public complaints.
- Maintain appropriate legal records to support code compliance cases and issued citations.
- Issue administrative citations and other legal remedies as a response to zoning ordinance, municipal code, and building code violations.
- Work in partnership with business owners, property owners, and local citizens to educate on applicable code and provide future expectations.
Report a Code Violation
For concerns or violations involving Short-Term Rentals (STRs), please contact the STR hotline at (800) 866-4301. Please make sure to include the full address of the location you are calling about.
*Please include contact information as anonymous complaints cannot be investigated per the City of Pismo Beach Municipal Code. Note that any information you provide remains confidential to the extent permitted by law.
For more information on filing an appeal of an administrative citation and for appeal forms, please visit the City Clerk's appeal page.